Tuesday, May 1, 2018

May Day with DSH Perfumes Muguet Cologne



Today the French celebrate May 1st as La Fete du Travail which is like our Labor Day in the USA. But it is also La Fete du Muguet, or Lily of the Valley Day. The tradition started all the way back in May 1, 1561 when King Charles IX was presented with a bouquet of lily of the valley, given to wish him luck and prosperity in the coming year. He must have liked the gesture because legend says that every year thereafter on May 1st he presented the ladies of the court with a small bouquet of the flowers.

There are many beautiful lily of the valley scents, the most famous being Christian Dior's Diorissimo, which has stood the test of time and is still famous today. Muguet perfumes are generally sweet and the lily of the valley is a distinctive white flower with a smell that is delicate and virginal, its scent bringing to mind the opening days of spring and the earth's renewal after a long winter.

This year I decided I was in the mood for something different and reached for DSH Perfumes Muguet Cologne.  On her website, Dawn Spencer Hurwitz (DSH) says that while she had men in mind when creating Muguet Cologne, it's really for anyone. It is probably difficult for the average man to pull of wearing muguet perfumes which veer ultra-feminine, but Muguet Cologne features the lily of the valley note encased in a light green woody fragrance.

When Muguet Cologne is first applied the woody and aromatic notes are strongest on my skin. This is a cologne, so the overall feel is light, airy, and transparent. There is that moment when it seems like the scent merges with your skin, and it's almost like there is a pot of fragrance being stirred as various aromas rise up. Woody notes of virginia cedar, sandalwood, violet leaf, and Brazilian vetiver provide the base. Aromatic notes of patchouli, frankincense, and balsam are present but muted. Light citrus notes of bergamot, lemon, and grapefruit provide a faint sparkle. The muguet note only makes an appearance on my skin after the other notes have settled down. It is a green rather than a sweet version of the flower. In all honestly had  I not known it was lily of the valley I probably wouldn't have been able to identify the floral green note as my nose is not that sophisticated and DSH fragrances are always well blended. While there is definitely that masculine cologne vibe to Muguet Cologne, I am very comfortable wearing it and find it to be an easy aromatic with a fresh and spring-like appeal.

DSH Perfumes Muguet Cologne is 100% natural, unless it is shipped overseas, in which case the alcohol content is slightly modified to meet international shipping requirements.


Happy May Day everyone!

Top photo Google image. Bottom photo from www.TheCuriousRambler.com. Sample my own.

1 comment :

Undina said...

That cologne was a disappointment for me when I tested it several years ago: I do not understand why to name perfume as a flower, of which it doesn’t smell at all! My nose isn’t that sophisticated so usually I do not expect to recognize too many notes in a blend. But with soliflores of several flowers I’m pretty much sure that I know how those smell both in real life and in perfumes. And with LotV and this perfume I can tell that it’s not it.