Saturday, May 18, 2019

Byredo Sundazed


Perfume brands seem to all be releasing their version of a beach-style perfume in anticipation of Summer 2019, and Byredo  continues this trend with the release of Sundazed.

Let me start with a positive: I love the name. You know that feeling you get if you are a sun worshipper (slathered in SPF 50 of course)? Your skin is warmed by the sun, you can hear the sound of the ocean, and you drift into a sleepy haze of well being. Sundazed is the perfect name for this state, in fact, you'll find the term in the Urban Dictionary. They define Sundaze as:
A state of mind or place often associated with Sundays that promotes well being and relaxation. Combine the positive energy and warmth of water and sunshine and you'll be in a "Sundazed" state of mind.
So, excellent name. Now for what is going to be my shortest review to date. Opening notes are supposed to be lemon and mandarin. I have both of these trees in my Australian back yard and I'm here to tell you that, no, that is not what I smell. I smell neroli, or should I say, NEROLI. Now I happen to like neroli, unlike many who say it gives them a soapy vibe, so that is not the problem. The problem is that there are so many other neroli/orange blossom perfumes available at a much more reasonable cost. The first thing that flashed in my head when I smelled it was Elie Saab, although ultimately I much prefer it to the Sundazed. The opening moments are the prettiest and if this neroli-orange-juice accord could continue I might be hooked. But all to soon the realism of the neroli becomes more muted and musky. The only other note I get during the three or four hours I can smell the perfume is the cotton candy accord. This does nothing to change my initial impression of Sundazed or endear it to me. It's not a bad perfume, but chances are you have something similar in your collection already and it probably didn't cost you Byredo prices. But this is just my impression. Perhaps your skin will give you a better return for the money.

Byredo Sundazed sample purchased by me from Luckyscent.

2 comments :

Undina said...

Great review! I will try it when I see it at a store but so far the most I've been tempted to get from this brand was a decant (well, actually, it's three decants): I like several of their perfumes but not enough to go for a FB, especially since I do not like their bottles design.

Cynthia said...

I like Gypsy Water and Flowerhead and the Oud, can't remember the whole name. I agree about the bottle, doesn't fit well in the hand.