Friday, March 13, 2020

Chloe Sevigny Little Flower by Regime des Fleurs


Chloe Sevigny, the indie-film actress with an off kilter beauty is not the normal Hollywood actor and one wouldn't expect a perfume she helped create to be a mainstream scent either. My greatest familiarity with her was years of watching Big Love where she played a prickly character, one part sugar to two parts venom. Her namesake perfume, Chloe Sevigny Little Flower, is a bit the same, a rose perfume with a twist.

Sevigny has a personal friendship with Alia Raza and Ezra Woods of Regime des Fleurs and was able to work with them to create a personal vision of what she wanted the perfume to be. She was a part of the testing process from perfumer Jerome Epinette's various formulas, but it was always going to be based around rose.

Rose, Sevigny says, is her favorite scent and she was loyal to Comme des Garcons Rose Red and then tried Hermes Rose Ikebana after the former was discontinued. Little Flower is not a one-note rose scent by any means. The rose note seems to hide beneath some of the other notes, peeking out now and then but ultimately creating a beautiful base which the other notes play off of. It is an Ottoman rose oil and its scent is really beautiful. Other florals are honeysuckle, bleeding heart, and peony. It is the peony that I most smell, and I always love the way peony and rose work together to give an uplifting floral fragrance.

fashionista.com

When initially spraying Chloe Sevigny Little Flower, a succulent juicy pomelo note makes the scent very fresh and alive, all of which give it the perfect vibe for a spring scent. Those of you in the Northern Hemisphere approaching spring, this scent holds the promise of that upcoming season of tender greens and soft florals. This is one of those perfumes with a lot of notes that flit in and out as if carried by a breeze. There is a tea note but it is light and in the background. Black currant bud gives that tangy and slightly bitter sharp edge, and in my opinion makes the perfume more interesting and dewy, but it is a note that can often overpower a scent. Here it doesn't.

The opening and its development is what I really love about Little Flower. Truly, it is like a harbinger of spring, as if the scent is floating into the house through a cracked window. Images of a newly sprouting garden laced with roses, peonies, wild honeysuckle and with tender green accents come to mind. The scent is lively and truly smells realistic of nature.

Sadly as is common, these high notes can't be sustained for too long. Palo santo incense and musk wait in the drydown, once the florals have softly faded. On my skin this moment comes sooner than I would like, but for that opening, I'm willing to forgive.

Top photo from www.regimedesfleurs.com. The scent sample is my own.

2 comments :

Undina said...

If it weren’t for the Oahu collection, I wouldn’t have known about this brand. But I found that they had some other perfumes in the line while checking Fragrantica for the notes for that collection.
I haven’t tried any other perfumes from them yet. I will give this one a try if I see it somewhere, but I won’t be chasing it: though it sounds nice from your review, I have more than enough fleeting perfumes both in my collection and on my wish list.

Cynthia said...

If it were inexpensive, I like this one enough I would just respray with abandon. But agree, the fleeting is annoying.